You don’t need to be an insect expert to know that termites pose a threat to what may be one of the biggest investments you make in life: your home.
Knowing your enemy is an important first step in any line of defense. With that in mind, here’s our quick guide to everything you need to know about termites.
Handy Termite Facts:
• Termites are insects that destroy wood. They are part of nature’s recycling team, chewing up wood from trees in forests in a process that leads to the development of brand new soil.
• Termites have a body with three main parts: The abdomen, thorax, and head.
• Initial signs that termites have invaded your home include small mud tubes (about the diameter of a pencil) that connect soil to concrete or wood and the appearance of bubbling paint.
• Piles of wings that fell off of termites are another telltale sign that you can notice before obvious structural damage becomes apparent.
• Termites are swarming insects. When it’s time to reproduce, termites leave their nest and go out to create a new colony.
• While people often think that termites are only active during the summer and spring, they can actually inflict damage all year round.
• Termites invading a home are looking for four things: a source of shelter, protection from temperature extremes, moisture (available from water leaking from your AC unit, for example) and food (the wood that makes up your dwelling).
It’s best to rely on professional termite exterminators to conduct a thorough inspection of your house. Amateur homeowners who lack training in pest control cannot count on being able to discover termite infestations on their own.
Homeowners can discourage termites from eating their home by keeping the property clear of debris. For example, they should routinely clear out rain gutters. If keeping a pile of firewood for the fireplace, don’t stack the wood too close to the house.
Likewise, mulch and soil should not be allowed to pile up against the side of the house because it will attract termites.
We hope this information is helpful as you prepare to have your home inspected by professional termite exterminators. If you have any questions about termites, treatment treatment options or would like to make an appointment, please contact the team at Arizona Termite Specialists at 602-777-8600 today. We provide termite inspection, control, and extermination services for folks throughout Phoenix, Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Gilbert, Mesa, and Peoria.